Thursday, September 1, 2011

Question on self-sustaining family farms

This question was emailed from a student here at UNH and I would appreciate any information you might have that we could send to her:


I'm an MFA student in the nonfiction creative writing program here at UNH, and I'm writing a profile of a family that runs a small, semi-subsistence farm in Northwood: they survive on their own animals and crops, and the sale of surplus eggs and produce (and maple sugar!) at farmers markets pays their mortgage and meager expenses.

I was wondering if you or someone else at the Cooperative Extension would know
how many self-sustaining family farms there are in New Hampshire, and whether the number has been increasing/decreasing/holding steady. I'm also interested in any other farming-related trends or developments you guys are tracking -- I'm almost completely ignorant when it comes to agriculture in New Hampshire. Any information/suggestions/guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

All best,

Jennie Latson

No comments:

Post a Comment